Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:58:05 -0500
Randy said:

What I  found interesting... cell
apoptosis appeared to be more of a generic  response to pesticides...  This
may indicate that
the bee gut responds  to any sort of toxin by simply sloughing off cells.
They do the same  when one treats with oxalic acid.
Years ago, while working on the Tacoma smelter/Commencement Bay studies, I
found that FDA had a tolerance level for arsenic in turkey  meat
(mid-1980s).  That tolerance level was in place because the  commercial poultry
industry spiked the diet of turkeys with arsenic.

The presence of a small amount of arsenic in the diet induced a faster
weight gain.  No  one was sure why this promoted weight gain - it  could have
been an appetite stimulant.  The prevailing notion was that the  arsenic
caused  a sloughing of the lining of the  gut, thinning the  lining, and
facilitating (accelerating) the transfer of nutrients.

The industry had to take the arsenic out of the diet some set time
(days/weeks) prior to sending the turkeys off to market - I forget how many  days
it was.  FDA did spot checks to see if the Thanksgiving Turkey was  'safe' to
eat.

Jerry

P.S. I remember following a pathologist at a big public EPA hearing in
Seattle.  He said arsenic was 'good' for Turkeys.  I then presented  maps of
the distribution of arsenic, cadmium, and lead in the Commencement Bay  area
(based on residues in/on adult bees).  Had just enough time to comment  on
the arsenic in the diet issue for Turkeys, concluded that if he could
interview the Turkey, it might not agree that arsenic was a good  thing.

Wonder if the Thurkeys had heartburn?