From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 22:32:11 EST
In a message dated 3/6/99 6:40:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Bee Shortage Decried - (College Station) -- Nothing's buzzing in the state's
>  beehives .. and that worries the Texas A-and-M Extension Service. The
>  legislature is being asked for an emergency appropriation of
>  one-point-four-MILLION dollars to replenish a drop in the state's hineybee
>  population. Officials say about 90-percent of the state's wild honey bees
>  left to pollinate crops.
>
>  Any comment from our Texan beekeepers on this ?

    I guess I'm not a Texas beekeeper, but, on a trip across Texas, I stopped
at four rural western county extension offices, asking for information on
beekeeping in Texas. The only thing any of them could find was a publication
on how to kill carpenter bees, which are valuable pollinators in themselves.
So I can't give very high marks to their extension beekeeping section.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm