From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 17:41:34 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "James R. Shaver"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I am unsympathetic to Australians wanting to export their bees or honey
>anywhere.  I purchased a sampler of New Zealand honey which was
>confiscated by Australian customs on the grounds that it endangered the
>Australian honey industry even though I had no intention of opening the
>jars until returning to California.
>
>Jim Shaver,
>Los Angeles

Dear Jim,

I do not know when this happened to you, but I had similar experience at
Miami during the 1980's when all the foodstuffs I had with me were
confiscated by US customs.

Nowadays trade is more open and this sort of thing is less likely to
occur. For your information, as well as being beekeepers we are honey
packers, and can tell you that the Australian laws forbidding honey
imports have now (this year) been radically altered. We have sold some
consignments of honey into Australia and this included British, American
and New Zealand speciality varieties. This is now on sale in a prominent
chain of department stores there.

So, if they have opened their barriers, surely some kind of
reciprocation, except in the case of a serious health risk, is fair.

Kind regards

Murray McGregor
Denrosa Ltd.
Victoria St.