From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:21:03 -0500
>  The "cell" method many commercial beekeepers use is called requeening
>without dequeening...
>A second cell method  is requeening by finding the queen....
>Both methods never lose a single day of queen not laying.

I am assuming you are inserting a cell into the top combs of the colony,
and there it acts like a supercedure cell. I do this often with the extra
cells I have. Seems to work OK. The second method...you are removing the
old queen, and giving a cell? Maybe I misunderstand, but how do you not
lose a single day of queen not laying with this scenario? I could see this
if you separated the broodnest with a solid inner cover, left the old queen
below, and requeened the top chamber with a cell. The two units are united
at a later date, after removing the old queen. You mention your procedure
being similar to a two queen system. So, is that how you remove the old
queen, and requeen with a cell, avoiding a time where no queen is laying?

>  Caged queens do not work as well with the above systems.

By dividing the colony as I state above, you wind up with a 10 frame nuc
above the inner cover...escape hole closed. The top unit has its own
entrance. The old bees fly back to bottom entrance leaving only young bees
above, which almost always will accept a caged queen....90 some %. Results
with a caged queen recently pulled from a mating nuc will be near 100%. No
jet lag. :-)

>   The cells are candled before
>installation.

How do you candle cells? Indoors in the dark? In the cab of your truck, or
in the field? What do you use for a light source. Would love a lesson on
this. Could you tell how?
Mike