From:
Hervé Logé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:39:23 +0100
>This is the kind of thing that needs to be resolved,
>just as much as
>residue fears,

It seems several swiss studies are on-line or
published about that matter.

>While some things may be overlooked in one
>jurisdiction, they may be
>carefully scrutinized and strongly regulated just
>over the fence.
>Worker safety

This is provincial jurisdiction without link with
product approval for bees. Approval or not approval,
Health & Safety provincial laws will remain unchanged,
and one has to respect them right now. So, this is not
an argument to delay approval (which focuses on food
safety) at the federal level.

> transportation rules differ around the world.

In fact, I am afraid it differs between provinces.
This is a shared jurisdiction as far as I know, so
more complicated. But I think I remember there is an
exemption below 5kg (which would represent a lot of
hives), at least in Quebec. Anyway, oxalic acid is
already in the country for several applications. I can
found OA in any lab supplier, so transport issue
should not be so new. Not a reason to delay its use
for bees. In fact, this chemical transportation issue
seems far out of the mandate of Health Canada, once
again.

>In
>Europe, I would guess that most beekeepers do not
>have staff that is
>covered under workers compensation.

H&S laws applies as well. And so responsabilities to
respect them. Compensation occur also when employees
are sick because of working conditions. But legal
contexts are different.

But I repeat, there is no direct link with product
approval for bees. Those two aspects are considered in
two different jurisdictions. Approval or not approval
for bees, H&S laws are already in force and will
remain.

>scrutiny is coming to bear on
>everything we do, and, as we can see in politics,
>ultimately there are
>no secrets.

I hope this time is coming fast. But, I sincerely
think authorities have the duty the take required
means and diligent action to fullfill their mandate...
or they have to take responsabilities for delays.
Nowadays, others pay the price for delay.

>By consulting with all the various authorities and
>receiving input,
>issues may be identified that have not previously
>been raised, and all
>potential opponents brought on side.

All true and fair. But it could be a long process if
no pression is on all those levels of authority. My
little experience is : it is better to negociate with
authorities separately. Altogether, it is impossible
to get a decision out of the pack.

Hervé