From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:47:28 -0700
>    I always get the brood chamber filled first. With a nuc, feed
> until all brood combs are drawn. Then the hive is strong enough to
> draw super comb without supplemental feeding. Don't put supers on
> until the brood chamber comb is almost all drawn. Timing is critical,
> of course, because if you wait too long, you will overcrowd the brood
> chamber.

Right.  Something that those of us who have raised comb honey know, and
other might consider is this:  A strong hive of bees that would normally
be crowded in five standard supers usually fits comfortably in two
standard boxes of foundation -- until the foundation is drawn -- a
matter of days, sometimes.  Don't add more foundation until the first
boxes are drawn, and keep the hive volume to a minimum by removing
finished boxes as they are ready..

Where a hive would need three standard drawn supers above the brood(s),
one super of foundation at a time is plenty -- until it is drawn.  Since
the space is not filled with comb, and the bees will be hanging in
clumps, a lot of bees will fit in that one super -- until it is drawn,
then they will need another, and fast if they are getting a good flow or
being fed and if it is early in the season

If drawing entire supers of foundation, only add another when the first
is completely drawn and filled, and bees are seen on all the top bars
and out to the corners.  At that point, the next super should be added
*under* the drawn one, if it is not taken away.  Ideally, the super that
is drawn and filled should be removed (and not returned).

Avoid excess ventilation and upper entrances when drawing comb.  Bees do
not draw well near openings.  Nonetheless, they do need some
ventillation, so provide at least the minimum that is appropriate for
your area.  (Texas coast may need more than Northern Alberta).

When drawing comb, do not make the common mistake of providing any more
space than the bees can fill, but monitor the top bars daily for bees if
there is a good flow.

Early in the season, it is acceptable to err on the side of giving a
little too much space, but at the end, errors should be towards being a
bit constrictive.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com