From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:24:26 -0500
Hello All,
I use a G.O.F. incubator out of Georgia. I replaced the wafer thermostat
with
a electronic thermostat which keeps and exact temps as cycles at a tenth of
degree ( these are used for hatching expensive bird eggs but the cost if I
remember correctly was in the fifty /sixty range plus shipping.) Even the
best wafer cycles 2 degrees up or down from the temperature desired.
Electronics do wear out as the cycling is almost constant if working
correct.

Those which hatch exotic bird eggs for the most part do not use a wafer
system.

The humidity on the G.O.F. is controlled by closing off & opening air going
into the cabinet.( several places and the instructions says one needs to
stay open all the time. I found that opening needs opened and closed also to
get things set right.
 DO NOT PLACE the incubator in an unheated building in April and expect good
results. even a electronic timer can not save cells when cold air is being
blown across the cells. The room the incubator is in really needs to be in
the 70 F. range.
I turn off the rocking trays. I fill the water trays as needed and at 94 F.
its almost daily even wet weather and both trays daily in dry weather. I do
not like the fan blowing across the water tray (except when hatching duck
eggs).
If you decide to make an incubator I would check with a beekeeper which has
made one and is having good luck and copy his incubator. You can lose many
cells trying to learn to get even an expensive incubator set correctly.
One other tip. Start your incubator a few days before placing cells in ( or
bird eggs).

bob