Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 15:46:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Randy reported:

>There are monster colony-to-colony variations in tolerance/resistance
to all pathogens.  All that I've investigated appear to be heritable.

I believe that nearly every controlled experiment comparing Russian bees with Other U.S. bees has shown fewer mites, greater survivability and greater honey production.
Why are they not in wider use? Why are no large queen breeders selling pure Russian queens? Why are large almond pollinators who raise their own queens not using Russian queens?

Here are some thoughts on the subject that may answer some of these questions:

1. Many of the more prominent researchers at beekeepers meetings have made disparaging remarks not based on fact that have discouraged their use.

2. Researchers, other than ARS, who have conducted comparative experiments that have shown favorable results have been reluctant to be advocates for Russian bees because of reasons that I can only suspect but not say positively e.g. need to support the queen and bee production industry that is producing other bee types.

3. Queen and bee producers have been able to sell all of the queens and bees that they produce regardless of the type so why change.

4. Beekeepers unwilling to make changes of management technique.

5. Chemicals are readily available and when one does not work, beekeepers can pressure researchers to come up with another one e. g. tylosin

6. Shop towels

7. Researchers wanting to make their name on some PPM device or technique.

The list could go on. 
I was not surprised that Russian bees were given very little attention at the Sacramento meeting. Last year I gave a presentation on Russian bees at the Austin meeting and was assigned to a room so small that people who wanted to hear me could not even get close to the door in the hall. This year I decided not to attend the Sacramento meeting.

The ARS researchers have done their job. They have given us the tools that we can use to enjoy beekeeping again.
This will be my 9th year with Russian bees. We could all enjoy beekeeping again without poisoning ourselves and our bees with chemicals. I am not looking for queen or bee customers. I produce queens for myself and for a few others. Wish I had the ability to supply the demand. No gimmicks, just run keeping bees again. 

Please do not misunderstand me. I do not believe everyone should keep Russian bees. I believe we should maintain all races or types of bees. I also believe that researchers and breeding should continue to work with all types. I do believe, however, that they are a solution for many. 

Were it not for Russian bees I would have quit beekeeping several years ago. Thanks to those who have labored to make them available. Thanks Baton Rouge ARS.

Carl Webb

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2