From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:48:34 -0500
It is beyond me why a PhD candidate would decide to spend his time on such an experiment, when there is so much else to be learned. The records clearly show that only the ignorant have ever believed that bees can be influenced by the banging of pans. Far more elaborate experiments have already been conducted.

> In many country districts it is a time-honoured custom for the good folks of the village to commence on such occasions a terrible noise of tanging and ringing with frying-pan and key. This is done with the absurd notion that the bees are charmed with the clangorous din, and may by it be induced to settle as near as possible to the source of such sweet sounds. This is, however, quite a mistake : there are other and better means for the purpose. The practice of ringing was originally adopted for a different and far more sensible object - viz., for the purpose of giving notice that a swarm had issued forth, and that the owner was anxious to claim the right of following, even though it should alight on a neighbour's premises. It would be curious to trace how this ancient ceremony has thus got corrupted from the original design.  -- ALFRED NEIGHBOUR. THE APIARY. London (1866)

* * *

On the 30th September  I put out a small quantity of honey on my lawn and brought some bees to it. I then set a musical box going, and continually replenished the honey and wound up the box. The weather was lovely, and all day a certain number of bees visited the honey.

Then on the 8th October I removed the honey to au open window on the first floor, and set the musical box playing as usual by its side. I waited half an hour, but not a bee came. I need hardly say that the music was quite audible on the lawn. I then again put the musical box and the honey on the lawn, and the bees very soon again began work. After the lapse of an hour I brought the honey and musical box into the house, and placed them at an open drawing-room window less than 15 yards from where they had stood on the lawn. The music was kept going for an hour, but not a bee came.

At first sight it might seem that these experiments are in direct opposition to the general idea, that a clanging noise is useful in causing bees when swarming to settle soon. This notion is as old as Aristotle, who says, " Bees also appear to have pleasure in noises, so that they say that they collect them into their hives by striking earthen vessels and making noises.'' He adds, however, "But it is very doubtful whether they hear or not."  -- SIR JOHN LUBBOCK ON ANTS, BEES, AND WASPS. (1882)

* * *