Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 12:15:58 -0500
>>  Is there any resistance out there?

Speaking of resistance, how much effort is going into examining the possibility that we are finding fumagillin-resistant nosema?

After all these years of fumagillin use, this should be a prime suspect when some report that fumagillin works and some find it does not.  Although resistant strains are often less fit and fade fairly quickly, it is entirely possible that much the nosemas  we have around now are descended from resistant specimens which were competitive, and thrived.  Treatments with fumagillin at this point may merely .

We have often seen fairly rapid development of microbial resistance to some antibiotics and some pesticides, but I don't hear much discussion of this possibility with fumagilli.  Seems to me that it would explain the consternation experienced by many of those trying to predict nosema.

I think I have asked this question before, but nothing seems to have come of it.