From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:51:47 -0500
Initial read of the proof of the paper to which I posted the link is
consistent with the "hype" in the PR announcement.

"...we used a commercially available applicator used in beekeeping (Varrox
M3080)..."

"In part, this was because we sealed the hive entrance with foam immediately
after inserting the sublimation tool, and also because the hot tool was
inserted into the hive
entrance just a few seconds after being loaded with OA. If need be, this
could be made certain by only supplying the electricity to the sublimation
tool when it has
already been loaded with OA and inserted into the hive entrance. However,
this would take several minutes extra time per colony to cool down and heat
up and would not be practical for a commercial beekeeper treating many
colonies. We achieved the same effect by quickly loading the tool with OA at
the hive entrance and, within one or two seconds, inserting it before any
had sublimated."

So, they ignored the entire issue of temperature control, and just poured OA
onto an already-hot vaporizer.

Yet they got better results with that method than with dribbled or sprayed
OA.

Now I'm interested in the specific application techniques that were used in
the prior studies, as the technique differences here seem to be at odds with
the instructions that come with the gizmo, and application techniques that
most people would consider key to "creating a consistent, repeatable
result".