From:
Mike Killoran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:43:26 -0400
Hi,

I'm a hobbiest with two hives.  Here in Massachusetts the flow is
over and I've been feeding a 2:1 syrup to both hives for about
a month.  One hive has been taking the syrup quickly, has a large
population, and has good reserves for the winter (I use two full size
hive bodies and they have one full and capped).

The other hive is my problem.  A few weeks back I went through it and
found a few swarm cells (at the bottom of the frames).  This seemed odd
to me as I found the queen (she's marked and new this spring), so I
destroyed the queen cells.  I think the bees may have known something that
I didn't as the population now is much reduced (bees could cover about
three frames, both sides).

More info about this hive:

  I put on Apistan three weeks back when I removed the surplus.  There
  are now some dead Varroa on the bottom board, but not excessive amounts.

  There is hardly any brood.  A hand full of larvae and capped cells.

  The bees congregate on ~3 frames.  On the other frames where brood was
  produced in the past, there are scattered capped cells, some with
  perforations, some with a head of a bee just emerging (but dead).  When
  I open a capped cell in this area, I find a nearly completely formed dead
  bee.  These don't seem to have the 'ropy' aspect I've read AFB has.

After seeing this, I mixed up some Terramycin/Sugar and dusted the top of
the frames of both hives.  I did this more as a prevention measure than
thinking that it would cure this hive.

My best guess now (and I do mean guess) is that the queen has failed for
some reason and decided not to lay eggs.  She's there, and as she's marked,
I know she is the one I introduced this Spring.  If this is the case, I'm
afraid it's too late in the season to introduce another queen...  any other
ideas?

    Thanks,

Mike Killoran                              ---------------
[log in to unmask]                        Embrace Entropy
(617) 981-2667 (Lexington, MA USA)         ---------------