Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 21:17:16 -0500
Gary,
This is very common now.  If the bees have spent several days or more in a reefer trailer on their way to you from California they now "know" each other.  A good sign to verify this is that you is starting to be wax development on the queen cage itself or in the package cage.  It sounds like yours did know each other for that time.  I generally will quick-release my queen into the scrum of bees from the package VERY CAREFULLY as she CAN fly!  If it is warm enough you can cover her with syrup first.  Early season releases are another story with the risk being to the most important bee in your hive.
Erik