From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:35:27 -0500
The point was that the threshold can be much lower in
> different locations.

This is true up to a point. Randy Oliver and I were puzzled by the above.
Then I made a correlation between nosema ceranae spore count and the hive
crashing with what would seem a low varroa load.
Every hive crashing with what I would consider a below threshold ( by my
standards ) had a high nosema spore count.

In my opinion the bees can handle a fairly high varroa count unless the
nosema ceranae spore count is also high.

I must admit it took me a long time to figure out but eventually I saw a
pattern.

Control of varroa and nosema ceranae is essential in commercial beekeeping
today. Mainly because of feed lot beekeeping and holding yards of thousands
of hives only feet apart.

fluvalinate varroa controls are not effective today for the most part and
most commercial beekeepers are using formic acid. Control with formic acid
is hard compared to the days when apistan and coumaphos worked.

Migratory beeks doing pollination do not want honey as honey makes hives
heavy and trucks overweight.
Because many go for months without putting a super on a hive the main issue
is health of the colony and controlling pests. Many of these beeks end up in
the Dakotas and many of these hives are in poor shape. Too weak to gather a
crop of honey. However by fall on strong lows they slowly rid the hive of
poison pollen picked up in pollination. Mostly related to imidacloprid
treated seed. One beek lost all his hives in zucchini pollination.  Being
moved into almonds and then one pollination after another for months is hard
on hives. Some look great when they arrive in the Dakotas but some are
barely alive. The great ones produce honey and the others limp along and
most build until its time to head back to California for the start of
another season.

Those which say they can control varroa with a single dose of OA once a year
are not doing the above. As I said in an earlier post some beeks are
treating four times a year for varroa. In fact David Vanderdusen told us at
the ABF convention that he recommended a miteaway treatment every four
months in migratory operation with intense brood rearing.

I went home and tested and found in my hives five months was the most I
could go without treating using miteaway 2  before varroa loads crashed the
hive. *if* because of weather or another reason you did not get a good
control with the formic treatment before one might have hives over threshold
in less than four months. Three?

Beeks are buying miteaway 2 today by the pallet of four fifty five gallon
barrels of pads.And who knows about the others.

bob