From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:52:06 -0000
Phil Moore

> *Have a look at Ruttner, The Dark Honey Bee, p19 "Brood rearing starts
> late
> and increases slowly to a peak in mid summer which is definitely slower
> than
> with other races"
Agree - build up can be slower, but we find that other races build quickly
(especially on the rape) and then swarm - losing crop.  A.m.m. tends to
swarm after the rape (if it swarms) and gathers a better crop.

> Then page 26 " swarming tendency varies considerably....very low in the
> north of England and high in the south"

We are in the Midlands and are happy with swarming tendency.  Ruttner seems
to have ignored the inclination to supersede rather than swarm - and
excellent trait that reduces our workload immeasurably.  Unfortunately,
there is a misconception that older queens are of lesser value - this may be
true with some other races, but we find that our A.m.m. stocks produce
excellent crops despite the age of the queen.  We have queens now going into
their fifth season, but average crop has increased by 50% since we started
breeding towardds pure A.m.m.

> Now page 27 The behaviour of the Dark bee on the comb is nervous
> everywhere
> throughout the area of distribution. The bees never sit quietly on the
> comb..."

Absolutely not true in my experience - pure A.m.m. sits very quietly. In
fact we sometimes think they are almost too quiet!  A visit to Galtee to
have a look at Micheal Mac Gillacoda's bees would leave you in no doubt
whatsoever.

> *So where is this paragon of apicultural virtue, does it exist or is it
> just
> an aspiration?

It exists - but not in the numbers that  would like to see.  When we get
over the 'the grass is greener on the other side' symndrome, perhaps things
will change.  Fortunately many new beekeepers are more interested in
conservation than some of our purely commercially minded bee farmers.

>In most areas Amm will be out performed by other
> races and hybrids.

Not my experience when inputs are taken into consideration - if you feed
ligustica 60lbs sugar to get through the winter and feed A.m.m. 0-10lbs then
you must ask whether you are getting sufficient extra honey to justify the
extra cost.  But, more importantly, there is an ethical element to all
this - which I leave you to ponder.

Best wishes

Peter