From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 19:21:42 -0500
Steven Albritton wrote:

> I haven't followed this discussion very closely, but what is the problem
> with frame grips.  I use the grips purchased from Walter Kelly Co. and they
> are the greatest thing since sliced cheese.  I have fat fingers and don't
> exercise much any more.  Therefore my fat fingers are not as strong as they
> once were.  I take my hive tool and cut out he glue, ease the grip down the
> side, and apply a slow even pull.  The frame slides out with no massed bees
> and I don't get stung.  Works great every time.
>
> At 09:24 PM 10/4/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >    To be successful with frame grips you need a very strong
> >    co-ordinated wrist.
> >     caroline

My thoughts worth just a few cents -

I too use frame grips (Kelly type) along with my hive tool. I just started this year with
them and find it to be a nice help especially getting that first frame out. Often I'll use
them on the first frame and then toss them aside while I work the rest by hand. If I'm in
a hurry or want to do a fast check then I'll use the grips all the way through. A loaded
frame can be hard to hold up and inspect with just the grips so I'll usually set the
frame edge on the hive to inspect but normally they work well for me. I don't like to do
anything the same way all the time so I try different things. Use them if you like them,
leave 'em at home if you don't. Maybe some strong salad tongs would work too!

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA