From:
John & Christy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:22:26 -0500
Randy,
I can second that motion about the SMR's
I have noticed on a few occasions where that 2nd or 3rd generation SMR is a
like a volcanic eruption..and this coming from an almost miserably weak
mother!
My "feeling " was that the SMR behaves like a purebred(maybe inbred) line
and that it would take a sort of hybridization/cross to unlock its
potential. Brother Adams cites many examples of that sort of behavior.
If you can find  and verify that "magic cross" which causes that F2-F3
generation to perform powerfully- and create a new line from that, you would
be doing all a service.
Keep up the good work! And if you find the right cross tell me and I'd like
to buy a few.
One other point-my SMR's(now called VSH) that showed this most desirable
behavior were near Buckfast and Russian hives.
John Horton