From:
Peter Chiang Mai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:30:48 -0500
I am just about to try out some swarm traps and see what happens.   I am however a little confused.  My confusion is related to when you add a lure to the trap.  I read round that people consistently recommend to add a cloth with a small amount of Lemongrass oil to the trap, apparently it is as good as a magnet.

Well that is where my confusion arises.  They do not sell lemongrass oil here.  Instead they sell citronella oil.   Citronella oil is one of the essential oils obtained from the leaves and stems of different species of Cymbopogon which in turn is supposed to be better known by a common name of lemongrass.

So I am wondering if they are indeed one and the same and that citronella oil is what I need.

However ...  I also know that lemongrass (or at least what is called lemongrass) is commonly planted here (Thailand) for use in cooking but it is very widely planted round housing areas where water may be in close proximity to act as an effective insect deterrent.  Farmers often plant it found green houses to keep bugs out.

So ...  if it is such a good insect repellent how can it be an effective bee lure?

Could anyone please take a look at the label on their lemongrass oil and see if it mentions citronella  / cymbopogon?

Does anyone have any thoughts on my quandry?