From:
"Steven A. Creasy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:38:29 EDT
Howdy All!

I have 4 hives, and have been trying to work them recently without the
aid of a smoker.  I usually do this only on sunny days, in mid afternoon
(1-3 PM).  Three of the hives usually do well with this method.  If I
work slowly, only the occasional bee will rush to my glove and check me
out and rarely will I get stung.  ONE hive, however, when opened,
IMMEDIATELY reacts by sending 20-30 bees out and stinging like crazy!
When my hand *slowly* approaches the top of the box to lift out a  frame,
the bees just jump up to my hand and immediately begin stinging and
quickly move to my chest and arms where I am stung through my coveralls.
Is this behavior to be blamed on the queen?  She is a new queen, placed
in that hive last fall.  They overwintered well, and are raising lots of
new brood.  Will requeening this fall solve the problem?

Curiously,

Steve Creasy-                           (\
Maryville, Tennessee USA   {|||8-
Proverbs 24:13, 25:16            (/