From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 23:00:50 -0500
Not only in the south but also here in Michigan are we having late
swarms.  I had several in late August and throughout September (it was a
warm September), including probably the largest swarm I have ever seen.
This monster settled about 6 feet above the top of my fully extended
ladder, and I deemed it not worthwhile to risk broken limbs even for a
personal best record swarm.

The results of this activity, naturally are colonies too weak to go into
the winter, both the parent colony and daughter (offspring?) swarm.  The
populations are low and stores are almost nonexistant.  I've had to
consolidate quite a few, and even so really don't know that any will be
good bets to make it through the winter.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA