From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:55:39 -0500
> "In many ways recapping is an imperfect form of the behavior, likely in the early stages of selection for the much more effective targeting of infested cells that have viable reproduction of daughter mites."

Perhaps Jose, however Melissa Oddie was specifically looking for VSH-like diseased brood removal in the mite resistant populations she studied and consistently did not find as much of that behavior as she did find recapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWlv6IjmMs0&list=PLzMvo1IUOsOfEUEnPVOm83KlfKWSgi8QM&index=1

What I also found interesting while reviewing that podcast, was Humberto's comment that in his experience he finds those who would stand to benefit the most by advances in the battle against varroa, (presumably large commercial operations where livelihoods are at stake), seem to be the most adamant when it comes to deligitimizing new findings that shed light on natural mite resistance.