From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:04:04 -0800

Bob Harrison wrote:

> Surely you are not suggesting no pesticide residue will be found?

No, several pesticides might be found in miniscule trace amounts
(parts per billion).  Miniscule amounts like that in the honey / pollen
of CCD affected hives wouldn't stop ants, moths, beetles, flies and
healthy honeybees from robbing.

Much higher amounts would be needed to stop the robbing.
Pesticide residue screening could quickly and inexpensively
tell us whether or not the honey / pollen in the comb of CCD
affected hives is contaminated with more than miniscule
trace amounts of any particular pesticide.  I think it is important
to know what chemical is stopping the robbing and whether or
not it is a commonly used pesticide.

> The big question which big Ag studders when asked:

> The top suspect chemical (beekeepers fear) lists 12
> insects it will kill . Kill by those insects visiting the plant.
> Some of those are tough to kill insects my entomologist
> friends tell me. However the chemical company says
> the chemical will not in any way harm insects like honey
> bees and butterflies which also visit those plants.

Bob, I don't have alot of experience with imidacloprid but my
understanding is that when used as a seed dressing, the
imidacloprid accumulates in the plant tissue and kills visiting
insects that suck on the tissues (aphids, whiteflies, leaf and
planthoppers, thrips, scales, mealy bugs, psyllids etc.).
According to Bayer, only miniscule parts per billion traces of
imidacloprid accumulate in the nectar / pollen so visiting
bees and butterflies are not harmed even though they are
inherently more susceptible to insecticides compared to the
whiteflies, thrips, etc.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.