Subject:
[log in to unmask]: Beekeeping for Scout camp
From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 23:37:47 EDT
Any northern Wisconsin beekeepers out there that can help???

From: [log in to unmask]
Dear Gerry,
Thanks for replying.
I am just starting beekeeping.  I am the director for the ecology
conservation site at East Camp of camp Makajawan, which is near Antigo,
Wisconsin:
Makajawan Scout Reservation
W6500 Spring Lake Rd.
Pearson, WI 54462

My twin brother, Jesse, is also going to be involved in this program, as
he
is the director for the ecology area at West Camp Makajawan, across a
lake
from East Camp.

So far, one smoker, an entrance feeder, and two nucs (which we will use
as
observational hives for the two camps) have been donated.
We are hoping to have one or two main hives a little ways off.  If you
could
help in any way with equipment, I would greatly appreciate it (especially
with the main hive and protective gear-so as many Scouts as possible can
experience it).

We wrote nationals concerninng the discontinued Scout merit badge, and
they
have told us that a reply is in the mail (it is a bit much to ask for the
whole nation to have the badge available, but perhaps they will allow
Makajawan to do it).

If you have any neat ideas on how to talk to the Scouts about the bees,
or
any other wisdom for the bee hive setups, I would love the help (we also
have
two empty nucs, which we might be able to show the bees creating a new
queen?).

Could you ask the group from rockford if any would be willing to help out
with equipment or if any have wisdom for how I should proceed with this.

Thanks for your interest, I'm very excited about this.
Sincerely,
Michael Foote
847-256-3013
105 Dupee Pl.