From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:31:47 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<In  my experience, the timing of the broodless period can  vary widely from
colony to colony in the same yard.  In our region,  some have no brood as
early as September/October and others much  later.  By late January, most
have had a little when I have  checked.  Some hives may never be broodless,
but I suspect most shut  down for a little while.>>

Regular examinations over last winter showed that  my colonies are probably
never completely without brood, but that the nearest  they come is around
Christmas and New Year, when they're down to a patch of  capped brood around the
size of the tip of a finger. Given poor winter light and  my unwillingness to
shake bees off the comb at that time of year, I was looking  only for capped
brood. This only applies, of course, to my strain under my  conditions. Four
colonies were involved, three with new queens raised around  midsummer; I noticed
no difference between them and the hive with an older  queen.

    Regards,

    Robert Brenchley