From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 22:34:44 +0000
On Aug 31, 2013, at 4:13 PM, allen <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I am sure there must be several hundred or more real bee researchers and entomologists in North America and _maybe_ 10,000 serious beekeepers.

I question your numbers. There has to be at least 100,000 beekeepers in North America. There are an estimated 4000 in NY State alone. Are they serious? You could ask the same thing about the researchers. I submit that is an elitist question, who gives a f---?

I mean, why is it so important to distinguish between commercial, profession, amateur, et.c except as needed to make oneself to feel more important than whomever one is trying to demean. I am sick of factionalism and self-serving distinctions.

There is no special merit for having the most beehives in the world. Where would you rather have dinner, at the best restaurant in town or the one that has the most locations in the world? Some things are simply done better on a small scale. I say, if a person can make a living with hundreds of hives, instead of thousands, way to go!

Pete