From:
"Lipscomb, Al" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:36:26 -0400
After reading all the postings I decided to see what effect the water would
have on the hive. I needed to staple some hives together for moving so I
felt that this would be a good place to experiment since I would not be
opening the hives. I wanted the bees as calm as possible and as few flying
as I could get. It was a hot day (95 degrees F). I filled a spray bottle
with cold water and ice chips so the water would also serve to cool the
beekeeper in the heat.

I worked two hives with this. Both hives had a heavy "beard" of bees all
over the lower chamber, front sides and even the back. I gave the first hive
a puff of smoke and waited. Then sprayed down all bees in the entrance and
then those on the sides and back. The mist soaked them down pretty good and
they seemed to just hang on and take it. I then used staples to attach the
bottom board to the lower chamber and saw no reaction from the bees. I had
to adjust the chambers on this hive to align them for attachment and this
took a good deal of time and in the hot sun the cool spray was nice to have.
After I finished the hive seemed calm and just a little wet.

The second hive took less time with the same results. It had a heavy beard
and needed some adjustments. After I was done the hive seemed calm.