From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 08:04:57 -0800
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Albert W Needham wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:32:34 -0500 Daniel G Jones <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> >        I just called W. Kelly and they are already booked
> >        till mid May. I have been told that I need to get the bees
> >        in the hives in mid April.
> >
> >        Is there any place else I should try?
>
> Dan:
>
> A suggestion - Do you know any beekeepers in your area, or do you belong
> a local Bee Club/Association?
>
> The reason I ask is that in my local Club are some Commercial Beekeepers.
> One
> of them drives down to Georgia every year and gets a truckload for which
> he has previously contracted ($13,000 worth) for package bees.
>
> Since he doesn't need a whole truckload for himself, he passes the word
> and
> even advertises in a local Farm publication to see who may want some
> packages.
> He sells the difference between what he needs and the truckload he has
> contracted for to small beekeepers - mostly hobbyists. This cuts his
> costs down
> and it's a good deal for the smaller guys in terms of avoiding the
> problems that
> may arise obtaining packages thru the mail. The bees also spend less time
> in
> trans

Hi Al and Dan,  Getting the bees thru a beekeeper should be much better
than the mail.I have done it both ways and bees are in better shape and
less dead ones on the bottem of the box when someone hauls them up in a
truck.
 If I was on the east coast , I could fix you up.I have about 100 extra
packages I'm brining up to Washington. Some of the thanks has to go to the
people on the Bee-L. After Varroa knocking down 50 hives in 95 and
starting over in 96. It looks like I lost one , do to eating up all the
stores. My hives have to be split, so it will be 100 that I need and not
200. I,m not building any more frames and boxs.
 When I pick up the bees in California ,they are ready for me at 6:00 AM.
The evening before the package people put the bees and queen in the boxs.
So in the morning , I just load up and I'm out of ther in under an hour.It
takes 12 hours to get get home. I park the truck in the garrage that is
dark and cool.Then I get about 6 hours of sleep. I have a friend that goes
down with me now to help drive.That makes it much better.His name is Joe
Mcmanus and is a cousin to Patrick Mcmanus the writer.Joe has the same
hummer and we have a great trip.( they even look alike)
 I hope you get your bees Dan. Al has the right idea.
 Best Regards
 Roy