Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:58:38 -0700
Hi James and all,

> Clearly, once one has used a frame for brood, it can no longer be used
> in honey supers, but this is easy to track with stencils, thumbtacks,
> permanent magic marker, or wood-burning pencils.  I am a big fan of
> colored thumbtacks to track the age of brood frames (using the yearly
> queen colors) .

Why Not? The only reason for this is because the beekeeper uses chemicals in
the hive which will end up in the honey, ect.. If no chemicals are used then
combs can be utilized anywhere at any time. I manage all colonies in the old
unlimited brood nest management which utilizes three deep for brood
chambers. Yet this can be done with any size equipment, shallows or mediums.
It is just the concept of the management that counts. It provides room for
food, space for a large brood nest, cuts down on congestion, ect.  No syrup
is
 needed to be fed. They get the honey for themselves. This cuts down labor!
 Don't have to haul feeders and mix up syrup. No extra trips to yards. Bees
 are just simply ready for winter all by themselves. Also arises a new
question. What is harvestable honey? Isn't it the honey that is surplus to
the bees needs? Why is it the the majority of beekeepers (not all) seem to
feed their bees every year with syrup for
 wintering? If you are feeding, was the honey you harvested truely surplus?
 Would it not be easier just to move frames of honey into the brood
chambers?
 After all it is what bees eat. Some say sugar is cheaper than honey so it
is
 better to do profit wise. Hmmmm! After you buy it, then use fuel to get to
 the apiary, the labor in mixing it, ect., Do you really save? At what cost
 to the bees health?

Clay