From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 21:37:23 -0600
Hello Randy & All,

> Bob, this is of great interest to me.  I'm wondering if the benefit was
> due
> to Clorox killing nosema spores, or due to killing a nosema synergist.
> Did
> you actually check and notice a difference in spore counts after bleach
> treatment, or did you simply no longer notice a problem?

I checked  spore counts on bees only. Not on comb.

I do not check all hives for problems (never did). I always select a few
hives in a yard to check fully. I base my treatment on the whole yard on the
results of the testing of those hives. With varroa the strongest hives in
the yard and with nosema the hives not taking feed or dwindling.

Before treatment with clorox ( I was going to use acetic acid until I saw
the article in ABJ) spore counts before clorox would remain low until about
the time supers went on then hives would start backwards. Once supers were
pulled and we started feeding by then the bees would not take feed. Spore
counts above 5 million per bee.

One important thing I think is to use clorox on the inside feeders if used.
A friend which feeds syrup with clear jugs on  the top has a hard time
finding hives with nosema ceranae issues. When we were looking at his hives
you can plainly see the hives not taking feed but you will not see the bees
dead in the feeders.

Perhaps I am too critical but I do not keep "dinks' around. I am not running
an infirmary for sick bees.

> Most beeks that I know of have not used bleach, and yet N ceranae appears
> be less of a problem.

Nosema ceranae is to me a stage disease. Last stage from my experience is
bees dead in the feeder. My experience with the last stage is when I replace
bees in those boxes (without the bleach treatment) the nuc does fine for
about six weeks then starts going backwards. spore counts rise.

In the next stage up with hives with very high spore counts only a drench
works
better than fumigillin fed in syrup. I have found that after the drench
process the hives which survive will slowly come back but too slow for my
needs ( maybe not other beekeepers) . So I now depopulate this stage hives
(depending on time of year) toss the boxes on the truck and treat with
Clorox before replacing a new nuc in the box.

This fall I did no drenching as all my hives would take down a gallon of
feed overnight. No bees dead in feeders. When I see this I do not monitor
spore counts. I fed fumigillin with the last feed of the fall as a
preventive. I find its easier and cheaper to prevent a problem than to solve
a problem. especially since I have had serious nosema ceranae issues with
some of these boxes within the last 18 months.

The weather is preventing me from doing an OA treatment but I did order a
ivomex gun ( vet supply house) like was suggested on BEE-L to treat with.
Looks like
an improvement over the sixty ml syringes and sells for around $20 bucks.

David Adams:
I push a lot of beekeepers buttons. mainly because i try to be honest with
my answers to their questions and will not simply tell you what you want to
hear to get on your good side. I can provide references of beekeepers in
Florida which have asked advice. they will all say I always try to give
honest answers to questions. I think out side the box and surprise many with
my replies. many will say I might come up with a possible solution to your
problem maybe you might have not thought of.
If i do not know the answer I will say so.
Enjoy your posts David!

bob