Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:26:35 -0500
More on Pseudoreplication

Hurlbert pointed out the frequency of this problem and discussed the
concept at length.  However, I did not find his paper very helpful in  designing
field studies.  Colin loves it, but he's a real  statistician.

My  colleagues follow-on  paper addresses the HOW TO DO IT  question.
Incidentally, their paper was a BIG hit when it came out.   I was working in
their offices when the paper was published.  In those  years, people wrote
letters asking for copies of papers.  E-mail was still  something mainly used by
academics.

I remember that John Thomas got 1000 requests in just a few days.   That
was unheard of at the time.

Their citation follows:

Ecological Monographs  61(1) 1991, pp 53-73

Designing Environmental Field Studies
L.L. Eberhardt and J.M. Thomas

For those willing to slog through these papers, both  are available as
PDFs for download  for free.
To cut to the chase, look at the illustrations at the end of the
Eberhardt/Thomas paper.

Jerry