From:
Yoon Sik Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:25:24 -0400
Greetings,

I have been asked to teach “Sustainable Beekeeping” class, under a
Sustainable Horticulture program here at OSU-OKC, and I have a few
practical questions for those who taught or have given some thoughts about
teaching a similar class:

1.	Should I ask the students to purchase the whole protective outfit,
or only a hat and a veil to lower the cost?
2.	Since the school does not own a hive, I will be using my own
apiaries as part of students’ practicum, a hands-on field experience,
required for the course.  How much should I charge for letting the school
use my own bees?
3.	Should I ask the students to sign off a legal disclaimer against
potential life-threatening situations caused by bee-stings although I
cannot imagine how someone would knowingly sign up for the course when
he/she is truly allergic?  I am, nevertheless, well aware that colleges
have closed their horseback riding classes due to actual life-altering
tragedies and the resultant litigations.

The above is all I can think of for now since my brain is fried, busy from
picking up feral swarms and rescuing them from structures; incidentally, I
am seeing, so far, smaller swarms, typically smaller than three-deep-
framers.  I hope their size improves as we head into May, a full-blown
swarm season around here.  As always, I would appreciate your thoughtful
insights, inputs, and comments.

Thanking you in advance,

Yoon