From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 00:34:21 -0300
from
http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050168&ct=1

Cool brood
Remarkably, honey bees maintain the temperature of their brood nest within ±
0.5 °C of 34.5 °C, despite major fluctuations in ambient temperature
[53<http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050168&ct=1#journal-pbio-0050168-b053>].
If the brood is incubated a little outside this range, the resulting adults
are normal physically, but show deficiencies in learning and memory
[54<http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050168&ct=1#journal-pbio-0050168-b054>
,55<http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050168&ct=1#journal-pbio-0050168-b055>].
Workers reared at suboptimal temperatures tend to get lost in the field, and
can't perform communication dances effectively
[54<http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050168&ct=1#journal-pbio-0050168-b054>].
Although entirely a hypothesis, I suspect that if colonies were unable to
maintain optimal brood nest temperatures, CCD-like symptoms would be
apparent.

I suggest that another possible cause of CCD might simply be inadequate
incubation of the brood. Thus any factor—infections, chronic exposure to
insecticides, inadequate nutrition, migration in adult population, and
inadequate regulation of brood temperature might cause CCD-like symptoms.

My hypothesis could be easily tested by removing brood from several colonies
and incubating some of it at optimal temperature and some at suboptimal
temperature. The brood would then be used to constitute new colonies in
which some colonies comprise workers raised at low temperature and some
comprise workers raised at optimal temperature. I predict that the colonies
comprising workers reared at suboptimal temperature will show signs of CCD.
Moreover, I would not be surprised if they showed higher levels of
stress-related viral infections. These effects could act
synergistically—more virus leads to shorter-lived, less efficient workers,
that in turn leads to suboptimal temperature regulation, and more
short-lived bees.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.