From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:44:24 -0500
Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I would suggest that any logical individual will readily accept that the
> bees which ended up in New Zealand with varroa did not fly there.

>As i said today in a earlier post science doesn't know for sure how varroa is traveling. Bees being the logical choice but not the only possible mode of travel. Birds have been suggested. Many mites travel on birds.

> And equally the bees which will end up in Hawaii with varroa will not fly there.

I would bet they are allready there as they were in New Zealand. Last
year the New Zealand beekeepers would have been upset with even thinking
varroa was in their country when in fact we think now might have been
there two even three years ago. Many ships pass thru Hawaii and
scientists believe swarms could fly to shore with varroa mites.
You ask a good question for which i don't think we yet have the answer.

Most beekeepers look to find varroa in their dead outs or week colonies.
Thats the wrong place to look in a country varroa might be infesting for
the first time. Your best and strongest colonies were the colonies we
first found varroa in in Missouri.

There have been many casualties in the panic to control mites. American
bee Journal August 1985 page 537. 1500 colonies may be gassed by
authorities to control tracheal mites.
The owner Mrs. Prettyman said quote: "We came to make some honey and it
takes a lot of money to move bees all over the place. Its not right to
take someones living away." Dunseith, North Dakota 1985.
Did it stop the spread of the mite? No! Did it even slow the spread? No!

New Zealand needs to stop pointing the finger and help there fellow
beekeepers work thru this problem. There is life after varroa !
My advice for Hawaii is to start testing closely and try to catch early.
We knew varroa was comming but many beekeepers did not keep a close eye
on their bees and loses were huge in winter 1995-1996. Bees were robbing
out feral colonies and bringing  5-6 mites per bee back to colonies.
those not catching the activity and not putting strips in that winter
suffered many dead hives in the spring.
Bob Harrison U.S.A.