Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2016 11:19:11 +0800
On 07/10/16 07:19, Juanse Barros wrote:

PD: Check out that bassed on Cabi Oz and Nz have scutellata. Is that so?
Check the map at the end http://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/6362

Juanse,

I looked at the map as you suggested, and yes it does suggest that
Africanized genetics are in Victoria (Aus) and North Island (NZ).

As far as I am aware there is no evidence to support that assertion,
and indeed much evidence to contradict it. Believe me there is no
shortage of surveys conducted to confirm the presence/ absence of the
pests that plague beekeepers around the world. Scutellata genetics,
varroa mites, and DWF are very high on the list nationally in Australia,
as well as here in Western Australia, EFB . I am sure our colleagues in
NZ share the same approach.

Our veterinary authorities are very fastidious to ensure that when they
sign the documents supporting our export certificates, every requirement
stipulated by the importing country is met, and that the fact can be
supported by evidence obtained in the field. No importing nation wants
to bring in undesirable stock or invasive pests, so to be able to export
our livestock and products we have to meet very high standards.

However, yes its true, that despite constant surveillance, undesirables
sometimes 'slip under the radar'. It would be foolhardy for us to ignore
that ever present threat. To my knowledge, the incursion of Varroa
jacobsoni on Apis cerana currently undergoing an eradication program in
Townsville , Queensland, is the latest to concern us. It has elicited an
appropriate eradication response from the relevant agencies as well as
considerable effort from beekeepers in support. Trevor Weatherhead is
closely involved, and is the spokesman for that event.

But Scutellata in Oz....? Not to our knowledge.

PeterD
In Western Australia, where another climate change induced weather event
is upsetting all the beekeepers' plans.
Following the hottest summer on record, we have now had the coldest
September on record. At a time when beekeepers should be harvesting
their spring crop, and busily raising new queens etc, most have no honey
to extract, and queen rearing schedules are in disarray.
Who said beekeeping was easy?