From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 07:44:33 EST
Gary C. Lewis asked:
" ... Am I the only one that  seems to be missing messages. I will see
a reply but the original post is not there...."

This "missing post" problem is not a common occurrence, but does happen
due to "problems in cyberspace".  When LISTSERV receives a post to
BEE-L, the posting is fanned out to all of the 800+ subscribers.  If
there are delivery problems between here(cnsibm.albany.edu) and there
(any one of the 800+ mailboxes) the mail bound for a "problem
mailbox" returns to [log in to unmask]  LISTSERV makes repeated
attempts to resend the mail to the problem mailbox and if the problems
persist, the mail gets forwarded to the list owner.  "Problems in
cyberspace" can range from someone's computer is down (LISTSERV is
unable to connect to the recipient), someone's ISP has changed their
name (LISTSERV can't find the recipient at the new address), the
recipients' mailbox is full and many other reasons.

On a good day there will be fewer than 10 such delivery problems.  On a
bad day there can be hundreds.  It's a rare Monday morning when there
are fewer than 300!  Systems programmers use weekends for software
upgrades and such, causing a deluge of bounced mail.  I simply do not
have the time to personally deliver that volume of "problem mail" and it
goes into the bit bucket (I delete it).

Now, before there are cries of "Dereliction of duty" and "tampering with
the mail" let me explain what problems I do address.

Someone's computer is down: Eventually the computer is back up and the
problem resolves itself.  The user starts receiving mail again and all
is well.  This is most likely the problem Gary Lewis had.  Users who
missed mail during the outage can always get it by sending mail to
[log in to unmask] requesting the log(s) containing the mail
they missed during their ISP's outage.

Someone's ISP has changed their name: I make attempts to hunt down users
at their new address and help them get resubscribed.

Recipients' mailbox is full: First I set the recipients subscription to
DIGEST.  This reduces bounced mail from as many posts as there are in
any given day to 1 per day.  If the digests continue to bounce to me for
many days after that I set the recipient to NOMAIL.  Whenever I make
changes to anyones' subscription, LISTSERV sends out notice to the user
of the change.  However, if there are delivery problems that prompt me
to change subscription options, the notice bounces back to me and the
user never sees it.  CATCH 22!

So, that the story.  It's easy to take for granted the work behind
running a list.  There's a lot work behind the scene when the automation
fails.  Cries for a "One eyed, left handed, Budist, Hindu Beekeeping
List" amuse me.  Go ahead, it's not as simple as it looks!  Personally
I say discuss beekeeping issues here and take the rest of the discussion
to 1-EYE-L and L-HAND-L and BUDU-L where there are conscientious list
owners quietly working behind the scenes to bring to you their lists as
best as they can!

Aaron Morris
BEE-L Owner/Editor