From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:39:42 -0500
Hello All,
Today and the next couple are busy for me as working bees with normal for
this time of year weather instead of the December like weather we have seen
for three weeks.

When caught up (rain expected Thursday) I will try to explain what I
learned from officers of the ABF at the meeting of the KHPA.

In short some startling findings about when the neonics are used in
chemogation and also when seed treated with neonics are used with
irrigation.

In Joe Traynors newsletter Joe said he was going to need 25% less bees this
season in almonds due to water and other issues.

Most almond pollination prices are being reduced by $10 a hive but some
grower holdouts are asking for 20.

Growers ( i was told) are pushing for even lower prices. I was told 2000
hives not under contract but in California went in for sixty dollars a hive
last year.

I have heard from two beekeepers which have not yet been paid for last years
pollination. They want me to do another article on almond issues and
especially fire ant & small hive beetle border issues. A California
beekeeper said he had two of his loads ( which originated in California)
refused entry back into California from Texas due to small hive beetle.

The new thing needed added in almond pollination contracts is what happens
if the hives should not grade and the new recommendation is to do cover all
basis in the contract,
Also  to get half payment ( as we have always done) the day the hives are
placed and the last half the day the hives are pulled. If not paid already
in advance!

The neonics article which everyone is talking about (which I have in my
email) which I  have not yet read
is in the Journal of economic Entomology.

Expect more of these type articles as battle lines are drawn over the
neonics by beekeepers. Science will need to step forward in order to get
labels changed. Chemical companies are not (in mine and others involved
opinions )going to change labels without a fight as the neonics are worth
billions in revenue. I liken the situation to big tobacco.

***In my opinion*** there it  will be proven in the future the chemical
companies were fully aware of the chemogation and irrigation issues a long
time ago.

A whistle blower will provide the information as they did with big tobacco.

bob