From:
Kristina Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:40:21 -0700
On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Bill Greenrose wonders if he is getting SHB eggs/larvae with his purchased
> pollen patties.

Where I am in Colorado we don't see many SHB 'though they do come in in
packages and nucs.  What I do see is this small-beetle-in-a-hive: (I will
try attaching a photo). The larvae are definitely associated with pollen
sub patties.  The bees avoid the areas where the larvae are feeding, but no
stage appears to venture beyond the patty itself.  I lost the samples I
took, but  now wish I'd id-ed them with the possibility of a second species
of SHB (SHB2?).
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Boulder, CO