Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:26:27 -0400
>  We have a problem here in Bursa in Turkey, where our bees
>are.Some people don't allow to stay our bees in their villages area,
>because of "fire blight" disease, which is seen on apple, pear,
>quince trees.
Mustafa Civan.

Hello Mustafa
Fire Blight is a serious problem. Under certian conditions it can
make commercial pear growing impossible. During humid or wet weather
bacterial masses exude out lenticels or cracks of infected twigs and
branches. Insects like bees, flies and ants are attracted to the sweet
sticky
substance, become smeared with it, and spread it to flowers they visit
afterwards.
An integrated approach must be taken for disease control. During the
winter all blighted twigs, branches, cankers, and even whole trees if
necessary, should be cut out about 10 cm below the last point of visible
infection and burned.
Reduce excessive succulence by growing trees in sod and use a balanced
fertilization program. Also try limited pruning.
An insect control program should be followed in the POSTBLOSSOM period
to reduce spread of bacteria. Ants can be a serious problem at this time
spreading bacteria to succulent twigs.
Focus on reducing the bacteria instead of reducing the bees! Use tactics
that target ants, flies and other vectors but avoid killing the bees that
are
so graciously pollinating their crop.
Good luck.

Ed Parker