Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:59:34 -0600
> This instance probably illustrates best, my belief that government
> run inspections are worthless,as far as identifying little
> problems before they become big problems.

And this post illustrates how individual beekeepers typically view
matters only from their own particular viewpoint and not in the
context of the bigger picture.

 From the perspective of a no-treatment operation with no pollination or
honey production imperative, and where the bees are pretty much expected
to deal with diseases and pest on their own, the extension together with
the diagnostic and broad overview provided by a properly run inspection
and regulatory service may seem superfluous, but to those who depend on
bees for a living these service may mean the difference between making
a living and not.

Such services provide an early warning system that can warn of new
pests or resistant varieties of current pests and assist in diagnosing
problems in light of what is known of neighbouring operations and the
latest news of what is happening in other areas.  They can also bring
pressure to bear where one beekeeper is operating in a fashion that
adversely affect neighbours and/or the public.

And, thinking back, did this very writer not call in the experts for
assistance and verification of his observations some time back?

For those who are plugged into the 'net and who read and discuss
constantly, and who are skilled at diagnosis, such services may be
less of a lifeline, but for the newbees and the less skilled, they can
mean the difference between success and failure, and for their
neighbours and way to influence them where necessary in a neutral and
unbiased matter.

Of course, I am thinking of a high-quality, well informed and honest
inspection service.  From what I have heard there are some inspectors
who misinform and whose advice and actions may actually be worse than
no inspection and advice at all, in which case, I concur.