From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:45:11 -0400
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> My best reply is that the Homosote boards will do no harm and you can use=
>  them if you wish.  HOWEVER, and this is big...do not use them in a manne=
> r that will impede upper ventilation.  If the Homosote boards work to imp=
> ede air movement from inside the hive to the outside, you are likely to w=
> inter poorly.

If you have a bench saw or even a chisel, put a "trough" or notch from
the center of the board (which will be over the hole in the inner cover)
to the notch in the inner cover. My notch is about 3/4 inches wide and
at least 3/8 deep. That way you have both a ventilation hole and a way
for the bees to get to the upper exit. Also remember to move the outer
cover forward to insure the hole is open and accessible.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME