From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:04:23 +0900

>So I suppose it will not be surprising when some DNA work is done to find that
>the USA and Australia have a background of many of these races.  Our Italian
>today is far removed from those ligurians that were originally imported from
>Italy.  In a newspaper article in Australia in 1887 it says "Even in Italy the
>purity of the Ligurian strain cannot be universally guaranteed for beekeepers
>there are now constantly experimenting with the crosses of Cyprian, Syrian,
>Carniolan etc.  It is not unlikely, therefore, that Kangaroo Island will in
>time become the depot from which all the world's beekeepers obtain their pure
>Italian strain."  Kangaroo Island is an island off South Australia which is a
>sanctuary for the ligurian bee.

Further to Trevor Weatherhead's comments, I add that the beekeepers of
Kangaroo Island take very seriously the conservation of the only known pure
strain of Ligurian bee.

The Island's bee population is also free of European Foul Brood, American
Foul Brood and Chalkbrood, due to the geographic isolation from the mainland.
In order to protect the disease free status and the pure Ligurian genetic
heritage no bees, used beekeeping equipment,honey or bee goods may be
brought to the Island.

Maintenance of the disease-free status and protection of the sanctuary
depends upon the co-operation of the public and the support of the Apiaries
Inspectors in advising upon protection of the genetic resource and
monitoring of the embargo on bee goods.

It is due to the efforts of a great many people that the Ligurian bee has
been conserved for future generations.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island