From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:57:15 -0500
Tom, in Ireland, comments on the licensing of Apistan in the UK and wonders
if there is really any difference in Apistan vrs Bayvoral, other than price.

As I am American, my knowledge is solely what I have been told by Europeans,
and is:
- The two chemicals are very closely related and if mites are resistant to
one it is "likely" they will be resistant to both.
- The label instructions for application are very different.

My understanding is that Bayvoral label instructions provide that the strips
can (should?) be used when supers are on a hive, or during a flow, but that
"hive products other than honey" should not be consumed if harvested from a
hive where strips were in place during a flow.  I also understand that
Bayvoral personnel have opined that comb honey is a "product other than
honey".

Apparently the strips are formulated so that the miteicides are hydrophobic,
i.e. they will not be absorbed by water based liquids, including honey.
However, they will be absorbed by wax.  Apistan label instructions provide
for treatment before or after a honey flow, but not during a flow.  Thus,
there are no restrictions on use of "hive products other than honey".

For reasons that are obvious, I am very pleased that Apistan has been
approved in the UK.

I hope someone will correct me if this information is incorrect or
incomplete.

Lloyd
Email [log in to unmask]
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm), the finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com