From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:10:14 -0400
Hi.

Does anyone have any idea on what basis bees choose to collect one pollen
rather than another? About a week ago I installed a small colony. Within a
few hours they were bringing in pale greenish yelllow pollen that I saw
them collecting on ground elder, which grows all around. They are now
virtually ignoring this, and bringing loads of bright reddish orange pollen
(I don't know the source) to the virtual exclusion of other types. This
must be choice, as the ground elder is still flowering abundantly. Would
the choice be made on the basis of ease of collection, nutritional content,
or what?

Regards,

Robert Brenchley