From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:08:40 -0500
Bob asks about Epoxy Peeling.

I had the same problem, with a DuPont Epoxy paint that required mixing the
Epoxy with the paint (not sure what one-part and two-part means).  I got to
talk with a technical guy at DuPont...which was not easy.

He assured me that the problem was moisture coming through the back
side...up through the floor.  I don't understand this, but the theory is
that the Epoxy paint will not absorb moisture (it will repel moisture) after
it is set, which is about 3 weeks.  However, if it comes into contact with
moisture during this set-up stage, something doesn't happen chemically and
the barrier does not form.

So...feeling a little sheepish, I peeled up the Epoxy (it came up in large
sheets), applied the highest-quality sealer I could buy, and then reapplied
the Epoxy.  It has now been 4 years, lots of moisture on the "top" side (and
presumably on the back as well), and no peeling!

I also got tired of my Miller-type feeders leaking and decided to put the
Epoxy on both sides, and no leaks!  The DuPont guy told me that the chemical
content of what I bought was the same as the Food Grade they sell, but the
Food Grade sells for 3X the price.  I asked why the price difference for the
same contents and was told that the lots sold as Food Grade required lots of
paperwork, stored for long periods, and left DuPont with a higher level of
liability...thus the increased price.

Hope this helps.

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.