From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:05:01 -0500
I thought I would add my two cents worth.

As I think Aaron has all ready reported, here in NYS budget cuts eliminated our inspection program about 8 years ago.  It was put back in on a limited scale (migratory beekeepers only) three years ago, and beginning in 2001 the Dept. of Ag. and Markets found some money to greatly expand the program.  However, implementation was limited because:

1.  There is no mandatory yard or hive registration in NYS.  The "lists" the inspectors had to work with were 8 years old and almost worthless.
2.  It was not possible to attract and keep a sufficient number of skilled beekeepers as inspectors.

The purpose of the inspection program (by law or regulation, I am not certain which) is to look for and control disease.  Most specifically, AFB.  The State would undoubtley like to expand that charter to include "helping" beekeepers be better beekeepers, especially hobbyists.  Some inspectors are more than well qualified to do so.  Others give out advice that is scary.  Some inspectors really enjoy being beekeepers and helping others.  To others, being an inspector is a "job", complete with medical benefits and unemployment insurance during the winter.

While I realize that for a time in the 40's and 50's it seemed that AFB might shut down American beekeeping,  I don't know how anyone got the idea that telling beekeepers they had AFB, and seeing the hives destroyed (which is required in NYS) would limit the incidence of AFB.  When was the last time any Government Program truly helped the beekeeping industry?  Based on 2001 inspection data, it appears that AFB incidence has increased from around 1%-2% 10 years ago to 5%-6%.  Moreover, 10 years ago AFB incidence was much lower among commercial beekeepers than hobbyists.  This was widely attributed to the prophylactic use of terramyicin by commercial beekeepers and it was assumed that hobbyists were not so treating.  In 2001 the incidence of AFB is about the same among commercial beekeepers as hobbyists.  Moreover, in 2001 we have widespread ABF resistance to terramyicin.

So, as taxpayers we have spent a bunch of money to learn this.  What use is this information?  The only use I can think of is that we can use the documented resistance to push the FDA to authorize other treatments.  So, we need one government program in our lives to help us manage another government program?

I don't lack for an opinion about inspection programs and it is...get rid of them.  Put in their place a real Extension Program, largely run by volunteers (as are most all Extension Programs), but with the paid staff that is necessary to support those volunteers.  Have the Extension Program provide advice to hobbyists, sideliners and commercial beekeepers, as they do to gardeners, small farmers, large farmers, and ranchers.  Those inspectors that know beekeeping and share excitement and satisfaction from helping others will find meaningful compensation within the Extension Program, by helping and directing the volunteers.  Limit Government Programs to human safety issues...and tread carefully even there.

Lloyd
email to [log in to unmask]
http://www.rossrounds.com
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturer of round comb honey equipment and Sundance pollen traps