From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:33:09 -0400
We are in a our second year of propolis collection and we have seen a fairly solid amount of information now in our collecting techniques and figure I would share.

The first goal was to use a material different than the brittle plastic meshes offered by most American suppliers.  These do not work, or at least not int he way I consider efficient.

We began use screen door mesh cut slightly larger than or average ten-frame hive.  Its is VERY flexible and never breaks or fractures.  We place it on the top of the hive with with the the lid slightly propped up to allow more air flow and encourage more propolis placement.  We use telescoping style tops on a majority of our hives and so the extra gap created by placing to entrance reducers or sticks (most often sticks) on the front and back to keep it up does not increase the amount of direct light or the possibility of rain getting in.  It does seem to increase the amount of propolis that builds up over a harvest period.

In 2 weeks most the screen holes are filled.  Each screen when removed weighs an additional .10 pound (45.3592g).  Thus ten hives produces 1 pound of super fine, super clean, propolis per two week period.  Right now we could probably be rotating through them a bit more quickly and maybe produce a bit more.

I am curious what others see or how they produce.  I  am trying to build a system based on a French Youtube video I watched a couple years ago where they seem to not be using scrapings or rigid screens but flexible screen material that could be rolled up, frozen and beat into a deep freezer.

The numbers are pretty solid in terms of production.  The ten test hives have been producing this amount since June.  The limiting factor is the screen as the bees fill the holes in the screen only so deep.

The original video I watched can be seen here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIHbU8P3MA&feature=related

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio