From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:29:23 -0600
> Yes it does.  The SMR (suppression of mite reproduction) was named because
> it was thought the bees increased the infertility of mites. This was show
> to not be the case...

Well, tearing out busy mother mites every time they get to work supresses
mite reproduction (SMR) just fine, so what's the problem?  The mechanism is
not what was expected, machanical, not chemical, but the effect is the same:
Mite Reproduction is Suppressed (SMR).

> therefore "SMR" dose does not exist!

I thought the arguement was that SMR bees do not exist.  That is FALSE.  I
can order you some SMR bees today, if you have some cash, that is.

> This varroa specific hygienic behavior needs a new name as SMR does not
> fit here.

Maybe, maybe not, but that is just playing with words.

SMR bees (and Dee's bees) are supressing mite reproduction as we speak, no
matter what one wishes to name the effect, but they don't care what we call
them, so let's give it a whirl:  How about "TBMMOBTDCMBLTHEN-RMA"?  (Tearing
Busy Mother Mites Out Before the Daughters Can Mature, But Leaving The
Non-Reproducing Mites Alone).  Nah! Call me old-fashioned, but I like "SMR"
better. It has a nice ring, and we all know what it means.

And we can buy them.

allen

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to
find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.
            -- Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science, section 41