Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:07:20 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<My question, which I address to all is:
Wouldn’t a simple  plan of selecting from your best performers, automatically
be selecting  colonies that cope best with the ‘environmental factors’ as
defined by  Phillips 1918,  which include mites as such.  In other words, let
the colonies dictate which traits are essential for them to cope with the
environmental factors,  if hygenic behavior takes a second seat to  grooming
behavior, so be it?>>

If you treat for mites, then any resistance  will inevitably be masked. If
you want to look for mite resistance per se,  rather than a specific behaviour,
the way to go might be to count mites when you  treat, and breed from the
colonies with least. Obviously, thee are other  variables which could affect
results. Treating every two years might make the  diffeences more obvious.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

Birmingham  UK