From:
"Matthew W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:38:58 -0600
Here in our neck of the woods, the Colorado DOW says all bets are off when
killing a bear prowling on your commercial livestock.  This includes
baiting and use of infra-red scopes or spot-lighting at night.  Also,
anyone can kill the bear provided they have permission of the land
owner/hive owner and the bear is caught in the act.  All kills have to be
reported within 48 hours and the carcass given back whole to the DOW.

I know because I've recently asked our DOW all the right questions as this
is my next course of action following a bear attack in early May that
claimed/killed 56 hives - killed mostly by the 2' snowfall after/while the
hives were toppled.
Stakes are high if you make a mistake so be certain you ask your DOW before
you take action.  Baiting is a great way to bring in that bear considering
information I've gleaned from bow hunters.

Solar powered electric mesh fences went up the next week and have kept the
bear away up to now but I carry a rifle everytime I visit the affected
apiary if I'm able to stay until dusk.  We have bears coming out of our
ears here this year so I'm constantly testing and monitoring the fences.

Hoping the bear respects the fences and doing everything I can to make it
so...

Matthew Westall
--
     //        Earthling Bees