From:
Doug Ladd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2011 21:38:17 -0400
Yes, uncapping and recapping has been seen in the same colonies along with chewing of the head, sometimes only a piece of the head and sometimes the entire "width" of the head.

Since I have not focused on exact specifics such as marking the cell in some fashion, returning to the colony for a follow up "cell inspection", ect I can not state anything further regarding the end result of the cell...

I will do my best as I am now curious as well, but I make no promises as my small yard of only 30 hives and growing along with a full time engineering day job, kids, and a small farm keeps things very busy.

In my limited experience the hives exhibiting any variation of "hygenic behavior" of uncapping etc was under slightly elevated mite loads in late fall but never above average in mite counts, however as has been stated maybe they were keeping the mite counts low, who knows as im not a researcher nor have lab reports to tell whether it was varroa or disease they were after.... But the short answer IMO is yes I only saw it during periods of higher mite loads...

I will do some "playing" around and marking of colonies etc and let you know more. I would assume if im seeing it others are too but arent caring to take note or dont know what they are seeing... I dont see it in all my colonies but do find it often enough to ne "proud" of my girls for cleaning house whatever it is they are cleaning up...lol

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone